SVN possibility?
Posted by: Rope (---.direct-adsl.nl)
Date: November 13, 2009 04:38PM

Hi,

First of all thanks for such an easy to use program it really helped me with my webdevelopment learning.
Now here is the suggestion I would like to make.
Is there a possibilty that WAMPserver might contain SVN in the future?
It would then be a WAMPSserver which is really nifty for people who want to have versionmanagement for their PHP files on the server.
So the WAMPserver would then also form a SVNserver that keeps track of versions. Shouldn't be that hard but it would be a great help for software engineers like me. For whom version management is really an essential part of webdevelopment.

If you are willing to do this It would benifit lots of people. And since lots of beginners use this program it would also help them work with a bit more structure. Not nearly the same structure as proffesionals but it could point them towards the concept of structuring your code.

Anyway hope you will consider this, thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SVN possibility?
Posted by: toumimi (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: November 13, 2009 10:28PM

I sent you a pm..

Florian

WampServer Patch (Screenshots)
Topic EN : www.wampserver.com
Topic FR : www.wampserver.com

Posted by: mjh_ca (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2009 02:01AM

Probably beyond the scope of what WAMP is supposed to be about. There is no reason why you couldn't install an SVN server separately (check out cygwin if you want to run the actual svn server designed for unix, it shouldn't be that difficult to install yourself).

Date: November 16, 2009 04:12AM

I think he didn't have a problem installing SVN server.
He was asking if developers could include this part into Wamp package...

Florian

Posted by: mjh_ca (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2009 11:53PM

Sure, I know what he meant. But, WAMP exists and has value primarily because it cleanly integrates each of the components together.. reducing the need to manually install each package and then struggle to get them to play nice together.

There is no (required) interdependency between SVN server and the existing WAMP components. SVN server can run its own svn protocol server and manage its own data, permissions, etc. So, no real gain by packaging it with WAMP, other than perhaps control of the service via the WAMP icon... Yes, SVN server can integrate with Apache - but certainly doesn't need to.

There is a lot that COULD be packaged with WAMP ... an SMTP MTA, memcached server, etc... but where do you stop?

IMHO, better to keep WAMP clean and install these packages separately as needed unless there is a complex interdependency between the packages where WAMP could add value by simplifying that setup.

Date: November 17, 2009 01:59AM

You're right.
Wamp is well because it allows to manage many versions of each program make them working together.
It is less than 15Mb and get a clean install.

But, that does not mean you can't make it available to any Wamp installation.
For example, they can create an addon to install it and integrate SVN in wamp menu.

Integrate an SMTP server or memcached are not the same as including an SVN server.
The last one is helping you getting more professionnal and avoid some datas to be lost.
It also allows collaboration between many users which can be useful for many developers.

Problem is that everyone will ask this forum why there is a problem with any svn project and this is not the purpose of this package. As it would be an addon, it would not be included by default for very beginners...

Florian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.