PHPMyAdmin root password problem...
Posted by: TheNewGuy (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 01:30AM

I've installed WAMP (a number of times), and everything seems to be working okay except I cannot set the password for 'root'. I should say I can, but then I can no longer access PHPMyAdmin.

I've Googled everywhere, and I've searched the forums here. I've found a lot of similar questions, and I've tried everything suggested. I've had to uninstall and reinstall a number of times till I found a thread here that linked to the three files I can replace to reset the root password.

Every time I set the root password, the next time I try to load PHPMyAdmin I get the following error message:

[www.twotrackmusic.com]

I restart all services, I stop all services and then restart, I don't restart anything, it doesn't seem to matter. I replace the 3 files and start over, and I can load PHPMyAdmin again. I've reset the password through Privileges and from the command prompt. Lots of times. Nothing makes any difference.

I'm sure it's something I'm doing, or not doing, but I don't know what. I'm on Vista Home Premium 32bit, and I have LOCALHOST set up in my hosts file (that part works fine).

So, I can run PHPMyAdmin with no password set for root, I get the error above with a password set for root. Any advice or a kick in the right direction would be appreciated...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PHPMyAdmin root password problem...
Posted by: toumimi (---.48.140-88.rev.gaoland.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 04:55AM

PhpMyAdmin configuration is not depending on mysql datas.
It get its own configuration file (config.inc.php) which contains informations on how to connect to mysql database.
So you need to modify this file to synchronize your passwords.
First, change root password in phpmyadmin panel.
Then phpmyadmin can log in using root no password, so modify its conf file with new password.
Refresh browser and that's all winking smiley

Note : You can (should) use another method to connect to phpmyadmin panel.
By default, mode is set to config, so user and password are stored in config.inc.php file and you can't connect with another user and root password is still written without encription...
Set mode to http and the browser would ask you a user and a password to connect. (root or any other user you have created in mysql privileges tab)

Florian

WampServer Patch (Screenshots)
Topic EN : www.wampserver.com
Topic FR : www.wampserver.com

Date: October 05, 2009 05:39AM

Thanks Florian, that took care of the problem. Thanks, really appreciate it. I've been doing all development online, and finally decided to set up a local server. Now that it seems to be working, I want to duplicate it on a dedicated Windows workstation on the local network that will do nothing but act as a local web server for dev and testing.

These forums (and other places) have been really helpful when looking for information, but I wish I could find a single document with walkthrough from beginning to end on various setups, it would be helpful.

Again, appreciate the help...

Posted by: toumimi (---.48.140-88.rev.gaoland.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 06:00AM

Configure local environment

Make sure you got the same version of mysql and php on your computer.
Compare your online phpinfo with the local one : 'http://localhost/index.php?phpinfo'
Mostly, it works without modifying the configuration.

Import online files

Create a folder in wamp public folder (www).
Use a ftp program to get all your project datas and copy them into your project folder.

I suggest you to setup virtual host to don't have a directory in url in more.
By creating a folder, you must use 'http://localhost/project/index.php' (or an alias)
By using vh, you can use an url like 'http://my_project_url.loc/index.php'.
Follow this tutorial if you want to setup vh : [blog.jlbn.net]

Import online datas

Export your mysql datas using tools given by your host (generally phpmyadmin).
Open phpmyadmin, open SQL window and import your file.
If you get problems, create your database before importing your datas...
Create the user you use in your project and give him the rights on the new database.

Test your application winking smiley

Florian

WampServer Patch (Screenshots)
Topic EN : www.wampserver.com
Topic FR : www.wampserver.com

Date: October 05, 2009 07:01AM

Thanks again, Florian, appreciate the information and the link. Should help quite a bit. You've been very helpful...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.