Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: WAMPServer 2.5 The Homepage, Your Projects Menu and the need for Virtual Hosts
Posted by: alfaex (---.virtua.com.br)
Date: September 23, 2014 02:59PM

Awesome post.

very detailed.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAMPServer 2.5 The Homepage, Your Projects Menu and the need for Virtual Hosts
Posted by: Beefcake (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: September 28, 2014 04:41AM

Tremendously helpful post. Thanks @RiggsFolly smiling smiley

Posted by: allmails888 (---.static.tpgi.com.au)
Date: October 01, 2014 05:46AM

Fantastic tutorial on setting up virtual host Riggs. thanks heaps.

I think I managed to get it going and understand the concept somewhat - i.e. I am able to access the wampserver page and wordpress setup pages via localhost. When i change "require local" to "require all granted" for the 8characters.synology host, i am able to access the wordpress site from internet (via hp 3g broadband tested) . However try as i might, i have not been able to get the 'My virtual hosts' menu to show for some strange reason. Appreciate your help in directing my troubleshooting:

Version of Operating system? - Windows 8.1 pro 64bit
Version of Wamp Server installed? - WampServer Version 2.5 64bit
Version of Apache you are running? 2.4.9
Version of MySQL you are running? 5.6.17
Version of PHP you are running?5.5.12

What colour is your WampManager icon? ( the in the system tray )
It could be Green, Orange or Red - GREEN

httpd-vhosts.conf file:

<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot "c:/wamp/www"
ServerName localhost
ServerAlias localhost
<Directory "c:/wamp/www">
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

ServerAdmin webmaster@8characters.synology.me
DocumentRoot "c:/wamp/www/8characters.synology.me"
ServerName 8characters.synology.me
ServerAlias www.8characters.synology.me
ErrorLog "logs/8characters.synology.me-error.log"
CustomLog "logs/8characters.synology.me-access.log" common
<Directory "c:/wamp/www/8characters.synology.me">
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

HOSTS file:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 8characters.synology.me
::1 localhost
::1 8characters.synology.me

httpd.conf file:
# Virtual hosts
Include conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf

wampmanager.tpl file:

[Menu.Left]
;WAMPMENULEFTSTART
Type: separator; Caption: "Powered by Alter Way"
Type: item; Caption: "${w_localhost}"; Action: run; FileName: "${c_navigator}"; Parameters: "[localhost];; Glyph: 5
;WAMPPROJECTSUBMENU
;WAMPVHOSTSUBMENU

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: October 01, 2014 11:10AM

Hi jozi,

Well I just repeated the instructions as per my HowTo post and it worked as expected. Then I took a closer look at your HOST file and Virtual Host definitions and some things jumped out at me.

Try making these changes :-

To HOSTS file:-

#IPV4
127.0.0.1 localhost

#Ajax development
127.0.0.1 pooledwisdom.dev

#IPV6
::1 localhost

#Ajax development
::1 pooledwisdom.dev

You cannot add the port number to the domain name in this file, it is unnecessary and I believe a syntax error. The port number is only required when you enter the domain name into the url on the browser.

Your Virtual Hosts :-

Remove the port number from the ServerName and ServerAlias commands. This again is not the correct syntax and should not be used one these two commands. It also may have confused the PHP code that looks through the httpd-vhost.conf file to find out what Virtual Hosts to place on the 'Your Virtual hosts' menu and submenu.

<VirtualHost *:81>
   ServerName localhost
   ServerAlias localhost
   ErrorLog "logs/wamp.www-error.log"
   CustomLog "logs/wamp.www-access.log" common
       AllowOverride All
       Require local
   </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:81>
   DocumentRoot "c:/wamp/www/pooledwisdom.dev"
   ServerName pooledwisdom.dev
   ServerAlias pooledwisdom.dev
   ErrorLog "logs/pooledwisdom-error.log"
   CustomLog "logs/pooledwisdom-access.log" common
   <Directory "c:/wamp/www/pooledwisdom.dev">
      AllowOverride All
      Require all granted
   </Directory>

php_flag display_errors Off
   php_flag log_errors on

php_value max_upload_size 40M
   php_value max_execution_time 120
   php_value error_log "c:/wamp/logs/pooledwisdom_phperror.log"
</VirtualHost>

I hope this will solve the issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: alvinbasabe (112.198.77.---)
Date: October 01, 2014 04:23PM

guys my wamp server does not turn to green, what will i do..pls help me i need to do this coz i need to do my own web and pass it...tomorrow is the dealine...pls

Date: October 01, 2014 05:34PM

Have you tried the port test?

wampmanager -> Apache -> Test port 80

What does that say.

Oh and by the way, can you start your own thread rather than hijacking a post that is not relevant to your issue please

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2014 05:35PM by RiggsFolly.

Posted by: jansportw (---.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 01, 2014 06:07PM

jansportw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was trying to store my website folders in my
> local Google Drive folder. It works fine in
> Dropbox folders, but there seems to be a problem
> when running it in the Google Drive folder.
> If I target the parent Google Drive folder I get
> Error 403 - no access when I visit it. Appache
> error log gives: [Mon Sep 01 12:33:24.224295 2014]
> [core:error] [pid 8792:tid 856] (OS 5)Access is
> denied. : [client ::1:54300] AH00127: Cannot map
> GET / HTTP/1.1 to file
>
> However if I use a sub folder with it (Google
> Drive/test/) Apache will a fail to start. httpd
> -t shows no errors in the httpd-vhosts.conf file.
>
> The results are the same with or without google
> drive sync actively running.
>
> Is this an issue that can not be fixed because of
> how Google Drive Sync works, or do you have a work
> around?

Riggs, here is the httpd-vhost.conf info as requested
# Localhost
ServerName localhost
ServerAlias localhost
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

# TestDomain.com
DocumentRoot "c:/Users/User Name/GoogleDrive/websites/DomainFolder"
ServerName testdomain.dev
<Directory "c:/Users/User Name/GoogleDrive/websites/DomainFolder">
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Posted by: allmails888 (---.static.tpgi.com.au)
Date: October 02, 2014 01:01PM

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any insights into the missing virtual host menu not showing in my earlier post (http://forum.wampserver.com/pm.php?2,page=send,message_id=127710) ?

I guess i'm just trying to obtain some assurances that what i did as a newbie was ok and that the virtual host set up is working rather than just simply via project links.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2014 01:06PM by allmails888.

Re: WAMPServer 2.5 The Homepage, Your Projects Menu and the need for Virtual Hosts (OLD)
Posted by: newluser (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: October 05, 2014 02:26AM

I have a problem from before 2.5 was released.

I set up some vhosts previously, which meant that I edited "\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.4.9\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf" and "C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" files. I set up two virtual hosts and made the HOSTS file redirect 2 domain names to 2 directories in "wamp\www". I forgot about it and returned to WampServer to work on a new project today.

Every attempt to go to "localhost" redirects to one of my HTML files rather than the WampServer launch page... even if I clear out "wamp\www". I have uninstalled WampServer 2.4, installed the new WampServer 2.5, confirmed that "httpd-vhosts.conf" has reverted, and commented out changes to the HOSTS file, and rebooted the computer after changing the HOSTS file, but "http:// localhost" still gives me my own HTML file. I can't open any of my other files with WampServer either.

I would like to utterly revert everything that I did so that I can follow the sticky tutorial and start again from scratch, and to have WampServer operate normally as if it was freshly installed. I didn't even want to mess with these vhosts today, I just wanted to test a PHP file. The platform is Windows 7.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2014 02:27AM by newluser.

Re: WAMPServer 2.5 The Homepage, Your Projects Menu and the need for Virtual Hosts (OLD)
Date: October 05, 2014 01:20PM

Not necessary to throw it all away, all you have forgotten to do is create a Virtual Host definition for localhost.

So add this as the first vhost in the httpd-vhosts.conf file

# Should be the first VHOST definition so that it is the default virtual host
# Also access rights should remain restricted to the local PC and the local network
# So that any random ip address attack will recieve an error code and not gain access
    ServerName localhost
    ServerAlias localhost
    <Directory  "c:/wamp/www">
    	AllowOverride All
    	Require local
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Date: October 05, 2014 04:48PM

Tried that, no change. Tried the following:

net stop dnscache
net start dnscache

in the Command Prompt as an administrator, no change. Tried uncommenting out the virtual hosts line from httpd.conf, which by the way has no line breaks in 2.5, no change.

But then I went to doubleclick.net, which is blocked in my HOSTS file, and that opened the WampServer Server Configuration page...

I managed to get my projects working as well using the tutorial. But "http:// localhost" opens one of my projects and not the configuration page.

Date: October 05, 2014 05:19PM

Please send me a Privaye message with your httpd-vhosts.conf file so I can have a look.

If it has no line breaks its probably because you are using notepad.exe..... DONT. This could be part of the problem.

If you dont have a decent text editor, download notepad++ from here [notepad-plus-plus.org]

Date: October 06, 2014 02:01AM

RiggsFolly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If it has no line breaks its probably because you
> are using notepad.exe..... DONT. This could be
> part of the problem.

I checked it out in N++ and it looks fine, just no line breaks in Notepad. Sorry for being misleading.

I'm convinced that my HOSTS file is the source of the remaining problem, but now that I can use WampServer projects/vhosts it's not a priority. Thanks for the help.

Date: October 06, 2014 02:44AM

Like I said, send me your httpd.conf and httpd-vhosts.conf and I will give them the once over.

Date: October 06, 2014 10:08AM

When you say that running localhost causes one of your other projects to launch what happens when you run

'localhost/index.php' assuming you still have the index.php file in the \wamp\www folder?

Date: October 07, 2014 05:22PM

"localhost/index.php" gave me the Server Configuration page! "localhost" still gives this other project.

Date: October 07, 2014 05:58PM

SOunds like you have not created the localhost Virtual host

Posted by: markIV (103.5.184.---)
Date: November 30, 2014 08:30PM

Thanks a zillion. It was extremely helpful to fix "Server not found" WAMP issue.
This should be titled Best Practices. Also helpful to beginners like myself to overcome other problems too.

Best Regards.

Posted by: kevsy (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: February 24, 2015 01:02PM

Hello riggs dear boy.
Hopefully I'm in the correct area.
r.t.f.m (read the f'n manual) got that as well

I have just downloaded Wampserver2.5
My problem is that when I select an item from 'Your Projects' on the home page it returns 'Server not found'.
I can insert the location into the url, that works, there are only 2 folders in it at present.

I had a pre-scan of the 'sticky' is that the route I need to take?

kevsy

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: February 24, 2015 01:27PM

Welcome kev old chap,

Can we start by you reading this post. READ BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION

It requests some answers regarding what OS/WAMPserver you are using but also suggests some simple Troubleshooting you can do when things done work, straight out of the box so to speak.

If that does not help, then ask away.

Oh it sounds like your Apache may not have started and you can tell this by looking at the colour of the WAMPServer icon in the system tray.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.