Security issues
Posted by: webmamma5000 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 05, 2009 11:45PM

Hi I'm very concerned about a possible hacker attack on my system now that I've installed WAMP. Can you tell me how to set secure settings in the php.ini file? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Security issues
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: March 06, 2009 08:42AM

as long as ur only using wamp for testing and havent set it up for online then u dont need to worry

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Posted by: LinkWray (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2009 04:32PM

So if you are only using wamp for testing, and you're not puting your server online, then you do not need to worry about establishing a password for root correct?

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: March 07, 2009 04:37PM

yes. just make sure you have wampserver offline.. hover over icon so you know...

but some apps liek wordpress etc need a password to run...

so you may need to add it if you use somehting liek this

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2009 06:02PM

So if you are only using wamp for testing, and you're not puting your server online, then you do not need to worry about establishing a password for root correct?
only and only if you're not online and the only one who uses that pc or any1 can accidental mess up your db and it's not easy to fix, so rather spend a couple minutes to setup password
to setup password, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: LinkWray (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2009 06:27PM

When you say "online", what you mean is putting the server online via the wamp control panel correct?
My machine is connected to the internet, I just am not putting my apache server online with wamp for people to mess with.
Basically, I don't want it to even be possible for someone from outside my router to guess my password and connect to my server. Thanks for your reply's on this subject btw.

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2009 07:13PM

when putting wamp online through wamp tray icon, you grant the outsiders the access to folder www, but not your db folder; however, when any1 who gains access to your pc, either your relatives, friends, then they might unintended make a change if you have no password protection for your db access

about hackers, if they actually interested in your pc, I personally don't think any hacker would waste their time to mess w/ your pc if it does NOT have any valuable that interested them, but if you really worry about them, then you should seek help from very professional

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.