phpMyAdmin won't let me into MySQL & won't die
Posted by: KevT (---.static.tpgi.com.au)
Date: February 26, 2009 01:20AM

Here's an interesting one (I think anyway).

1) Installed WAMP (thanks! great piece of work) & everything I've used is working nicely except...
2) ..I try out phpMyAdmin and it states: #1045 - Access denied for user 'roots'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
3) Fine...so I go to look up how to change the config file for phpMyAdmin so MySQL will let me in (I have a password for root user).
4) After numerous attempts to change it, to no avail.
5) It occurs to me perhaps I'm editing the wrong file(s). So to try to work this out, I rename the /wamp/apps/ directory to try to "break" phpMyAdmin to get clues as to where I should be editing.
6) This stops sqlitemanager 1.2.0 in its tracks but phpMyAdmin 3.1.1 marches on!
What's up with that? Does it leave a ghost or something?? And yes...everything stops when I stop WAMP server & point the browser towards localhost. And yes, when I restart WAMP server after this WITH the wrong subdirectory name for the apps folder, sqlitemanager can't start up but phpMyAdmin turns up like an uninvited guest.

Any clever thoughts?

Thanks,
Kev

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: phpMyAdmin won't let me into MySQL & won't die
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: February 26, 2009 04:27AM

don't have to guess since phpmyadmin will run for any db server, which means you used to or currently have another db server besides mysql come w/ wamp :-(

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2009 01:09PM by yfastud.

Date: February 26, 2009 05:03AM

Thanks for the reply. However...I'm not sure if I fully understand what you mean by...

yfastud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> don't have to guess since phpmyadmin will run for
> any db server, which means you used to or
> currently have another db server besides mysql come w/ wamp :-(

My puzzle is that I'm trying to get phpMyAdmin configured so that I can connect to my MySQL server. In the course of checking this out, I actually renamed /wamp/apps/ to /wamp/appss/ to work out if I was working with the right config files.

The above stopped sqlitemanager 1.2.0 in its tracks (in same subdirectory) but didn't stop phpMyAdmin from working.
I only have 1 installation of WAMP and as far as I can tell, only one installation of phpMyAdmin.

Could you please explain how "you used to or currently have another db server" fits in with my above observations? Essentially, I just want to get phpMyAdmin working on my localhost MySQL DBs and am running into authentication problems (and yes, I am able to get onto those DBs by other applications).

Thanks,
Kev

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2009 01:11PM by yfastud.

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: February 26, 2009 01:12PM

I'm sorry that I didn't make it clear; I guess you have another db server besides mysql come w/ wamp

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: March 04, 2009 11:55PM

yfastud: thanks again for reply.

As far as I'm aware, I don't have any other MySQL DB server running - even looked in the windows processes to check that one out.

As stated before, the strange thing is that I can't locate which files to edit in my phpMyAdmin installation to allow phpMyAdmin to access my MySQL DB.
Again, the issue ISN'T that I don't know which TYPE of files to edit, I believe I do. It is locating which ACTUAL files in my system that's the real problem.

I have only one installation of phpMyAdmin - the one that came with WAMP server and even renaming the subdirectory it resides in (which in theory should stop phpMyAdmin from running) doesn't stop phpMyAdmin from running! Why is that?

Could you clarify why given the above you believe that another db server affects my situation here? If it isn't another db server..what is the situation then?? Mucho puzzeled...

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 12:03AM

the user name is root

u have roots

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: March 05, 2009 12:20AM

Thanks for quick reply.
Yes, I have root access.

This is the error message I get in a "Access denied" page in phpMyAdmin:

Error
MySQL said:

#1045 - Access denied for user 'roots'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 12:27AM

u didnt understand

YOU have roots as the username

it is root

#1045 - Access denied for user 'roots'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

should be root

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: March 05, 2009 01:14AM

Typical..when you get deep into discussing some weirdness you have observed & try the same thing again after a few reboots - it works tongue sticking out smiley

Problem solved: I tried changing the config.inc.php file again and it worked. I tried this many times before including shutting down & restarting WAMP server. Clearly..I needed to actually reboot my whole computer a few times for whatever reason. Think I shouldn't standby my computer as much as I do...

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR PATIENCE & INPUT INTO THIS! smiling smiley
Much appreciated though..I'm not sure why it works now & not before - won't complain about that though smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.