php errors
Posted by: Dawnforge (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: April 18, 2014 07:43AM

So I got wamp to work by installing windows 7 64bit on my pc and I started to follow the tutorial videos. I am finding out however that much has changed since they came out and I keep getting various errors trying to get them to work. Errors like the following 2.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'mysql_select_db' (T_STRING) in C:\wamp\www\tutorial\connect.php on line 5

and

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ';' in C:\wamp\www\tutorial\test.php on line 5

Since I did an exact copy of what was on the video and it gave me this error,I decided to do some reading up on php and MySQL and it seems that MySQL commands with _ are no longer being supported. If this is true then can you direct me to a video or some docs to read about what I should replace them with?
also if you know of any other reasons why this error is happening please let me know as well as I am sure I am not the only person who has asked this
~D~

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: php errors
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.ppp.as43234.net)
Date: April 19, 2014 04:36PM

Paste the whole code so we can see it.

The info about the mysql_* functions it true, there are 2 better mechanisms now available mysqli_ and PDO.
mysqli_* functions have been deprecated i.e. will sometime in the future be removed from the language.
You should really try to learn mysqli or PDO for this reason, but if your tutorial uses the old mysql_* function they should still work assuming you have copied them correctly, which I assum eyou have not.

mysqli and pdo are are both documented along with the whole PHP language syntax on the php website.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: Dawnforge (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: April 20, 2014 11:58AM

Oh thanks for replying! I managed to fix the error myself thanks to a crash course I put myself through in W3 schools, but I still have a couple of questions that I am sure will aid me in the future.

I did see that there are mysqli_ and PDO.options to choose from, but I have yet to read up much of anything about them. Is there one you would recommend over the other for browser based game design or even making a social networking site?

Is there any game design programs you would recommend as well? I just downloaded Unity but I have yet to play with it. Im sure the tutorial video will recommend options for the tools I need, but I like other opinions as well. I already have DJ equipment so sound mixing is covered, but I need something to aid me with making backgrounds and sprites and at a level that a novice at art can learn his way up through.

Lastly I need a bit of info on time.
I have a LOT of frameworks made over my lifetime for many various games, and I have the first few I plan to make lined up from most easy to make, to slowly more advanced projects. While I am aware it will vary greatly on many factors, could you give me a rough idea of how much time it would take for a single person to make the core of the game up to say - an alpha stage.
Ive given myself a time budget of 2 years for my first game, but once I have a wider breath of what I am doing, I plan to spend a great deal of time adding all the data I have planed out.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: April 21, 2014 10:34PM

I am afraid that is one of those 'How long is a piece of string' questions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.