How to direct a www.domainname.com url to WAMP?
Posted by: wolfdogg (143.112.32.---)
Date: November 11, 2008 04:44PM

Hi all. I'm sorry if this has been addressed before. I tried the search, but it spins in an infinite loop and never gives me a result set.

I have 8 websites now that I host with a hosting company. But, yesterday.. for the second time in two years, one of my websites went bye bye and I my hosting provider (nomonthlyfees.com) emailed that their backup was corrupt! "Please rebuild your site..." Can you believe that?!! I just filed a complaint with the bbb and ripoffreport.com and I'm officially through with them.

So.. begins the laborious task of learning how to transfer domains. I'm sure they'll make it difficult for me, but when I do get control of the names, is it possible to direct them to WAMP, running locally on my home computer? I have WAMP up and running on 2 computers and I'm amazed at how easy it is, but currently, I just run it using my computer name, for my home network.

Thanks much!
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to direct a www.domainname.com url to WAMP?
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: November 11, 2008 05:19PM

yes first of all follow my guide so that you can conenct to your computer from outside the network

>>>[pampserver.com]

then find a company that will point your url to your ip address(freedns.org). if you have a static external ip address thats brill , else ul need to use no-ip.com or freedns.org(reccommend) to update ur ip

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2008 05:24PM by stevenmartin99.

Date: November 11, 2008 05:22PM

Very informative! Thanks, Steven!

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: November 11, 2008 06:04PM

do use dns but not port redirect services or you will lose ability to use other features such as ftp, ssl, webdav, so on
anyway, check my guides here, especially when you have more than 1 website
[guides.jlbn.net]
[guides.jlbn.net]
[guides.jlbn.net]
[guides.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: November 11, 2008 06:37PM

I will read your guides as well. Not sure if I care about FTP, if everything is local to my machine.. or SSL, if I have to https pages. But.. if it's a better way, I'll check it out. Thx again!

Date: November 11, 2008 06:53PM

if port 80 is blocked you have no choice- if its not blocked then definitly dont use port redirect. its written in my guide

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: November 11, 2008 07:29PM

Aight. I know 80 isn't blocked as I access my home computer from work all day long at logmein.com.

Thx again!

Date: November 11, 2008 07:35PM

Ok.. read your tut. Easy enough. I've used no-ip for years on my home computer for my ftp server.

But.. is there no way to make the actual purchased domain name reside on my machine? This is where I get confused. When I purchase a domain name from a hosting company, and they get it for me, how do they administer it? Where does it reside? They are actually attaching the name to their servers, I presume? Can I not do this? Is the no-ip method just the easiest and thus the preferred way for most? Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2008 07:42PM by wolfdogg.

Date: November 11, 2008 08:07PM

a nameserver is needed to host your own domain name. there is two free nameservers you can download but it is really not worth it. too much trouble, problems etc

if you goto freedns.afriad.org and fill in ur domainname- and your external ipaddress , they will redirect all requests for your domain name to your ip address for free!. if you have a static ip then this is all you have to do.
set up your page in www folder and then its ready for all to view

if your have a dynamic ip (when you plug out the router and ur ip address changes) you will need there
ip-auto-updater which will sit on ur pc, constanly check ur ip address and if it changes will contact their servers and change it

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: November 11, 2008 08:13PM

Your tut, static IP and freedns.afraid.org sounds perfect. Thx for all your help!

Date: November 11, 2008 08:22PM

static ip is not the one in tut.. thats internal static.. u need a external static,,

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: November 11, 2008 08:28PM

Right... I just figured static ip on my home computer would be easier to reference. I guess dynamic would probably be just as easy for freedns to manage. I assume that freedns takes care of the external static ip, don't they?

Date: November 11, 2008 08:37PM

ill try explain. ur internal (lan) IP is 192.168.x.x , this is used to connect ur pc to your router.
if you have more then one pc on the network and they are all dynamic ips then which ever computer connects first to router gets the first ip adress. if you turn both pc's off and switch the second one first then it will get the first ip. using static ip setup as in my tut will stop this happening and make sure each computer keeps a certain ip address.

your external ip is given to u by ur ISP. it connects your router to the internet.. this is usually dynamic.. it can change when router is off etc. this means that a nameserver trying to connect to your computer will not connect if the ip address you supplied has changed.

some people have a static ip from there ISP(mostly paid for) which means you always have the same external ip address , kinda like having address for your house , it will always be there. you go to freedns.org and give them this , and they will send all requests for the domain name to that ip address..

since most people have a dynamic external IP address you need a piece of software that will monitor it , and keep freedns.orgs records updated with your ip address.

check if you have static or dynamic ip first then decide if your need there lill free app that monitors the ip address.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.