WampServer on Windows Home Server
Posted by: Dr zoidberg (---.freedom2surf.net)
Date: October 25, 2008 03:27AM

Hi

Quick and easy (hopefully) question, Will Wamp Server 2 work on Windows Home Server?

Im currently running Wamp on my main PC under XP, but am looking to implement a home server and am tempted to use WHS if everything i want to run will work on it.

Thanks
Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WampServer on Windows Home Server
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: October 25, 2008 05:52AM

do you know what is the different b/w wamp and whs? they both servers ;-) and you're pretty much can do everything w/ wamp that you want to do w/ whs; however, they conflict when go together since they're both server :-(

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: October 25, 2008 10:36PM

Well it is possible to run Apache on a windows server running IIS,

I have installed WHS in a VM to give it a test, i have then installed WAMP into that but it will not run, even after making adjustments i have found on the net to make Apache and IIS run on the same system.

So is there some thing within WAMP that means it will not work or is it just a case of configuring Apache and IIS to run together?

Date: October 25, 2008 11:53PM

yes, they can run together, but they will conflict in some ways. I had both before but eventually had to get rid of iis, since I can get asp.net and mssql to run w/ wamp w/o the need of iis ;-)

Put it this way, if you need php and/or mysql, you can get them to run w/ iis w/o apache; similarly, if you need asp.net, mssql, webdav, you can set them up to run w/ apache/wamp w/o iis; in conclusion, you actually only need ONE web server, just pick the one you like more

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: October 26, 2008 02:25AM

yfastud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> just pick the one you like more

I prefer using Apache through WAMP, but if i get rid of IIS on a WHS box im sure it is going to stop some of the WHS functions working so hands are tied if i pick 1.

Im going to do some more digging and try my best to get both working happy together.

Date: October 26, 2008 03:18AM

As stated, you can have both, but practically, they might conflict in some ways as they have a saying "you can't eat a cookie and have it the same time". Anyway, if you still like to try it, make sure to test on single unit before put on main server, and here is the simplest way as far as I know

1. Configure iis running as service
2. Stop iis
3. Install wampserver (w/ option running as service)
4. Open httpd.conf in wamp/bin/apache/apache2.2.8/conf
5. Find and change listen 80 to other port such as 81, 8080, so on
6. Enable associated port 81, 8080, so on for wampserver in all firewalls and routers
7. Restart your computer, and now you have both iis and wampserver running

For testing, you should save in new folder every time you have new project, and for testing these 2, save these 2 test index.html in their associated locations

// index.html testing asp stored in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\testiis

<html>
<body>
<p>
IIS working
</p>
<%
Response.Write("And ASP works, too"winking smiley;
%>
</body>
</html>

// index.html testing php stored in C:\wamp\www\testwamp

<html>
<body>
<p>
WAMP working
</p>
<?php
echo 'And PHP works, too';
?>
</body>
</html>

And access them like this:

[localhost]
[localhost]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.