server maintenance
Posted by: bikuta (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: June 26, 2008 03:47AM

I have a few questions in regards to server maintenance.

Upgrades:
I believe we can just drop the version of apache/php/mysql in the bin folder and select the new version, so if I decide to upgrade MySQL (e.g., when a patch is released to fix a security issue), will the data be intact? or do I need to do some sort of migration?

Backup:
What is the recommended method to backup the mysql databases and websites?

My main concern is security, so if you guys have any suggestions or anything I should look out for, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: server maintenance
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: June 26, 2008 05:16AM

Posted by: bikuta (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: June 26, 2008 05:23AM

Ok, great so I can just do a copy.

What about upgrades to MySQL? Will my data be ok, if I decide to use a newer version of MySQL?

Posted by: toivo (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 26, 2008 10:45AM

Hi,

You need to read the documentation and release notice from MySQL about compatibility and the correct upgrade process.

Examples:
[dev.mysql.com]
[dev.mysql.com]

As MySQL recommends, you should use mysqldump to back up your tables if you need to reload them using the mysql command.

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: June 26, 2008 03:17PM

Remember, most of, if not all, my guides are simple solutions for new wamp users, also copy and paste only works for a certain db storage, and this method is not widely used by advanced users. In additions, most host don't allow users to manipulate db folder directly, so in order to upload db to host, you should have proper backup and restore just as toivo's suggestion ;-)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: JonBeluga (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: June 26, 2008 07:50PM

maintenance: MS SQL vs. MySQL

I am familiar with MS SQL and how it's possible to create automated backups, DB shrinks, truncating DBs, TLOG backups, etc .... is this something that can be done w/MySQL too or am I talking about apples and oranges?

Basically, I know databases have a reserved amount of space, they can grow, and they can shrink so I wanted something to automate and shrink the DB where possible as well as cleaning up empty or deleted data.

ideas?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.