Access to MySQL and WAMP
Posted by: Pic (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2008 10:00PM

I just downloaded a program called "Access to MySQL" which supposedly converts Access databases to MySQL. This would be very useful to me because I have some experience with Access and none whatsoever with MySQL, which I'm just beginning to learn and seems comparatively cumbersome. (Here's a link to the site I got it from: [www.bullzip.com]).

When I try to run it, I get the following error message:

Unable to find a MySQL ODBC driver on this computer. Please install the latest ODBC driver from MySQL. The driver is available for download www.mysql.com. The program will now exit.

And it does.

Before I install anything, I'm wondering if anyone on this board can tell me whether or not I already have that driver installed. If so, how do I point this program to it? If not, will installing it screw up anything up? Also - has anyone had any experience with this program? Any tips or heads ups?

Thanks in advance,
Pic

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Access to MySQL and WAMP
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: February 21, 2008 10:11PM

hmmm it depends on ur opersatig system

in control panel ul have an icon called odbc if its installed...

are you sure u need this program?

phpmyadmin is with wamp and it will convert them for u

Date: February 21, 2008 10:27PM

Hmm... Perhaps I'm lazy. I'm brand new to WAMP, which is to say I'm new to both PHP and MySQL and I'm eager to get started. I haven't explored phpmyadmin and will look for the conversion tool you mentioned. If you're still there and it's not too obnoxious of me to ask -- where is it?

Thanks,
Pic

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: February 21, 2008 10:30PM

once you have wamp running- the icon will be all white

just open ur browser and goto [localhost] http :/ / localhost/phpmyadmin/

there u will see the gui for mysql

u can create tables etc in it...

if u wanna load in a table from access save it to ur desktop and click import along the top of phpmyadmin

Posted by: kathierry2106 (196.44.244.---)
Date: February 22, 2008 07:58AM

hello dude!
I also export Ms Access to MySql using the convert i got that error
all u need is to download also the followin
MYSQL ODBC version 3.5114.0 or up to that version

you can download this version 3.51.23 from that URL and install it on your Workstation

[mysql.mirror.kangaroot.net]

here is also the URL of Ms Access to MySql Converter:

[www.bullzip.com]

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2008 03:45PM

Yep, in order to use MS soft such as Access, SQL, you do need that ODBC driver ;-)

I don't use Access, but I do have ASP.net and MS SQL for wamp and I still have to install that driver

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: February 22, 2008 05:41PM

For anyone interested, I went ahead and installed the driver. It did no harm to my WAMP setup, and the program that demanded it (Access to MySQL) seems to work very well. Being able to see databases I created elsewhere is already accelerating my learning curve for phpMyAdmin as I suspect it will with MySQL.. My Yes/No fields come in as 0's and -1's -- don't know yet how that will translate in MySQL. Also, since I don't know anything about how to make relational databases in MySQL, I can't tell yet whether or not those relationships carried over, but all of my tables did.

Thanks all for your input.

Pic

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2008 07:01PM

As already mentioned, in order to use MS soft such as Access, SQL, you do need that ODBC driver ;-)

Also, since I don't know anything about how to make relational databases in MySQL
You might want to check Setup Database guide on my website

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.