need help with WS_FTP/local webserver
Posted by: Lakeside (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 06:37PM

Well, seems I am back again to be a pest. With lots of help from yfastud, I did have an ftp server that I could connect to with my Jooma CMS. But I uninstalled it and installed WS_FTP. The reason: I could not see how to use GuildFTP to change file/folder permissions so that I could write to them (required in Joomla CMS sometimes for installing extensions for example). First, I must mention that I went and got a 'static IP' from NoIp, so I don't know if that is confusing things. I am running a local server (no remote hosting) with WAMP.
IN the WS_FTP 'server address' I have tried putting various things: the IP provided by NoIP: 216.211.43.22, or sasswebs.hopto.org.., http:/ /localhost, or add /Joomla1.5 to it (my 'site', installed into wamp), in my computer's directory it is at C:\wamp\www\ joomla. I tried info derived from cmd>ipconfig/all: DNS servers: 216.211.26.14, IP address: 192.168.1.100, Default gateway: 192.168.1.1 (my linksys router). Tried just 'localhost', 127.0.0.1, everything gives an error message about the server, even tho I do have the 'server' up and running (wamp server is running, and I even navigated to the joomla site, by clickihg 'lo calhost' off wamp icon, then picking 'joomla1.5', this appears as http:// localhost/Joomla1.5/ in server's address bar, but that doesn't work either sad smiley I tried just clicking 'open a local connection' in WS_FTP, and the site's files do show up in the connection pane. but there is no way I can edit them (change permissions). I was under the impressions I have to go thru all this ie) use ftp to change file permissions, as there is no way, or program that will just let you do it simply? At one point, it actually said I was connected to the server (a green check mark too) BUT I wasn't able to transfer anything from my computer directory (left pane) to the right side, connection pane. I kept getting 'unimplemented feature'.. what does that mean lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2008 06:42PM by Lakeside.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.