alias with network
Posted by: doc538 (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 08, 2006 09:21PM

nebeeee here.. I have wamp on my laptop Ineed to use it as a test server for my new web project. The files all reside on my lan server and I do not wish to move them to the www folder on my laptop, way too large! I have used wamp previously but just built the web in the www folder. How the H#$l do i set up an alias on a network drive? Every time I try apache wont reboot, I can set up local folders but not a mapped drive. Please this is driving me crazy. Even worse there are spaces in my folder names exp. E:/My Documents/My Webs/testsite, ive also tried using //server/files/My documents/My Webs but it just wont work, I also tried a plain folder with no spaces but you guessed it ! no go.

Robert J Smith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: alias with network
Posted by: CyberSpatium (67.170.181.---)
Date: August 09, 2006 02:25AM

if there are spaces in your "folder names" then put them in double quotes

Example:
<directory "E:/My Documents/My Webs/testsite">

you do not need to use alias, you can change the documentroot setting in your httpd.conf file:
DocumentRoot "C:/wamp/www"

change to
DocumentRoot "E:/My Documents/My Webs/testsite"

save the file, and restart apache for your new settings to take effect.

Date: August 09, 2006 03:52AM

Thank you for the reply,
I tried changing the documentroot as suggested but apache wont restart, It works with any folder on C: but not E:. I am running windows xp home on all my machines and they go thru a router/hub,with windows firewall disabled on all but the server,if that makes any difference. I've spent 7hours playing with this I hope there is an answer!!!!!

Robert J Smith

Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: August 09, 2006 01:23PM

Did you enable network accessible?

Date: August 09, 2006 04:28PM

I do not understand your question. Is there a setting in the config files?

Robert J Smith

Posted by: dval (---.chrcitadelle.be)
Date: August 09, 2006 04:59PM

a track :
This new release of WAMP5 now includes the possibility to limit acces to your server from outside users. A new link in the WAMP5 menu allows you to switch from offline to online.

When offline, only localhost (your computer) can access to your server, a small lock appears in your WAMP5 icon. When online, your server can be accessed by everyone, the lock disappears.

Posted by: dval (---.chrcitadelle.be)
Date: August 09, 2006 05:02PM

other track :
"//server/files/My documents/My Webs"
change to :
DocumentRoot "\\server/files/My documents/My Webs"

note the BACKslashes left to "server" (\\server)

test ?

Date: August 09, 2006 06:39PM

I made the change in the test conf alias and also tried it in the httpd.conf. the httpd stopped apache from loading, the test conf allowed apache to load but I can not access the folder using [test], http//:localhost/test come up with page not found, however localhost comes up with the wamp pageno problem. This is really a pain so I imagine it is really something simple that I am over looking. Any other idea's?

Robert J Smith

Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 11, 2006 07:50PM

Did you enable network accessible? Don't talk about wamp yet, but wonder if you can access those files on your network w/o problem. I encountered this once, then found out I forgot to enable network sharing accessible in My Network Places as well as in Firewall.

Date: August 12, 2006 08:20PM

Yes my network runs fine, there are no problms acessing any files either through the mapped drive or using //server. The net has been operational for many years. After thinking this throug the easiest thing to do is to set up the apache server on my server and not my workstation. I will try this when I get a chance. I just dont understand why it wont work with a mapped drive or a \\server/ setting but will with an alternate local drive.

Robert J Smith

Posted by: melban (---.norwood.com)
Date: June 18, 2007 07:59PM

I was able to get mine to work but doing this. I also in the past have had my apache service startup using an actual account instead of the default so it would take along my network access.

DocumentRoot "//nppiint001/dell$/wamp/www"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.