How many users should i have?
Posted by: 1235 (---.perr.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: August 18, 2013 06:06PM

First and foremost i want to say a big thank you to Riggs Folley.

So i set a password for myself in PhpMyAdmin which is the host at the bottom called user "root" and host "local host". As far as i know that's the only password you should set. I have fours other users 2 with in the user column called "any" and two called root. For three of the users it shows a red text in the password section saying no should i set passwords for them as well as the which has a line like this -- i don't want my database to be compromised.

Re: How many users should i have?
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.ppp.as43234.net)
Date: August 18, 2013 06:32PM

MySQL users are associated to a location for example

Using root as an example:

root@localhost
root@127.0.0.1
root@::1

The location tells mysql where that user can login from.

Now assuming you have added these lines to your HOSTS file

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

All 3 of these are actually alias's for the same location.

Now lets assume you want to login to MySQL from another PC on your home network you would have to setup a new location allowed for root.
So you woudl now have
root@192.168.0.100 ( for example )

Or if you wanted to login from any PC on your local network you could do this
root@192.168.0

Once you have set a password on one of these 'root' users it should set it for all of them.

To test I am correct use this address to get to phpMyAdmin

'http://127.0.0.1/phpmyadmin' and see if it lets you in without a password. If it does then set the same password you used for the first 'root'.

Also try the same with 'http://::1/phpmyadmin'

Posted by: 1235 (---.perr.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: August 18, 2013 06:52PM

Thanks for the advice however i have a few questions.

I tried the first URL you gave me and it required me to enter my login details again. What does that mean?

Also the second URL something seems to be incorrect i type it into the search bar and it is incorrect.

Also do i need to do any more other than just adding a password to localhost? You may have explained it there however it is a bit complex for me.

One more question if you don't mind answering how do i update to the new version?

Sorry if this seems like a lot you don't have to answer it.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.ppp.as43234.net)
Date: August 19, 2013 01:53AM

Sorry, over did the descriptive.

There is only on user so if you added a password on one you have done all you need to do.
The reason it looks like 3 root's is to do with where they are allowed to logon from.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.