Noob with questions
Posted by: yosoy (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2006 05:02AM

Short version: How do I use WAMP5?

Long version: I knew nothing about web site develoment and maintenance a year ago when someone asked me to build one. So, I started googling and eventually built a very meager site. In the process I learned a little HTML and then found the SMF forum code which I installed then found I needed to learn PHP and MySQL. On the SMF forum, I asked about establishing a development environment on my local machine and was told to get WAMP. Sooooooo, I found wampserver.com and downloaded WAMP5 1.6.5 with PHP 5.1.6. After having some problems, because I had somehow managed to set up my start up manager to load two apache services (I think), I removed everything then downloaded WAMP again and reinstalled it. Now when I point FIrefox to [localhost] I get a page not found.

I have not yet put SMF code in the WAMP folder. Do I need to do that first?

I've read the FAQ but am still pretty much at sea. Is there a how-to for using WAMP?

I'm pretty much self-taught (and poorly, as you can tell) on this platform, but I was a mainframe programmer with BAL and COBOL about 40 years ago. I'd really appreciate any help you can give this old geezer because he'd really like to learn how to use PHP and build some websites.

TIA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Noob with questions
Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: October 16, 2006 03:03PM

Did you disable Windows firewall and enable port 80 in 3-party firewall (i.e Norton, McAfee) yet? And make sure nothing else using port 80 like Skipes, so on. After install wamp, put all your files (i.e html, php, so on) in wamp/www/your_folder, then access them as follows:

[localhost]

Hope htis help

Posted by: digitaldissection (---.cable.ubr10.live.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: October 17, 2006 01:12PM

Im also in the same sort of situation, self taught, not very clued up, but need to learn MySQL and WAMP etc. HAve installed it, but not much else. Is there an idiots guide anywhere?

Thanks!

bang bang beep bang

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 18, 2006 04:40AM

Check this post

[forum.wampserver.com]

Hope this help

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.