Initial Setup Tutorial
Posted by: barney0o0 (---.pool8259.interbusiness.it)
Date: May 25, 2006 11:12AM

Im so sorry for asking this but i just dont understand at the moment. I had to remove all my programs due to as serious xp problem, no i cant remember how to install and setup wamp.

Could someone explain what i need to do to to make the phpadmin work (at the moment i have a page cant be found), and if i remember i need to then setup password no or something in one file (that i cant remember). Ive still got the old backfiles of the previous installation, but ive totally forgot what i did originally...

Wasnt there a very simple tut on how to setup?...i cant find it

Many thanks in advance...and please dont shoot me down for this request smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Initial Setup Tutorial
Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: May 25, 2006 06:16PM

I think you need to reinstall wampserver, then follows these tips:

For setup password, need to change it in 2 places:

1. Set password in Privilleges in phpMyAdmin from your Browser/Localhost.
Goto: localhost/phpmyadmin/
click on "Privileges" link
click on "edit Privileges" link for ROOT user
and set-up your password (change password) and click go

2. Set password in config.inc.php in /wamp/phpmyadmin.
Find and put your password in this line:
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'Your_new_password_here'; // MySQL password (only

Also, if like to set the permission to access PHPmyadmin and SQLitemanager (credited to Joshua), so only local network user can access it through Localhost or Alias; otherwise, use htaccess and htpasswrd.

1. open httpd.conf in /wamp/Apache2/conf

2. find the lines
# Controls who can get stuff from this server.
#
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

3. after the </directory> line above add the following:

<Directory "C:/Internet/wamp/www/phpmyadmin">
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 127.0.0.1
</Directory>

<Directory "C:/Internet/wamp/www/sqlitemanager">
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 127.0.0.1
</Directory>

4. change location of the directories as your might be different from "C:/Internet/wamp/www/phpmyadmin"

Also in Alias folder (/wamp/Apache2/conf/alias), replace these lines in phpmyadmin.conf and splitemanager.conf:

Order allow,deny
Allow from all

By these lines:

Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 127.0.0.1

Hope this help,

Posted by: k776 (---.bliink.ihug.co.nz)
Date: June 07, 2006 05:46AM

Ok, so say I use htaccess to protect phpmyadmin and sqlitemanager, and its working fine (allows only people who know the password), is there anything else that needs to be setup and protected/secured before the server can host a site open to the public?

Posted by: CyberSpatium (67.170.181.---)
Date: June 07, 2006 01:16PM

just don’t do it. find a free webhost to host your files with, or a host that charges a low fee. I have seen hundreds of webhosting offers on ebay with 1 year of hosting for like $8.95 USD. Also search these great boards geared towards web hosts and webmasters.

WebHosting Tak - By far the #1 forum on the net for webhosts and webmaters
[webhostingtalk.com]

Other sites:
[www.freewebhostingtalk.com]
[www.theadminzone.com]
[www.freeforums.com]
[www.servertalk.org]

Posted by: k776 (---.bliink.ihug.co.nz)
Date: June 07, 2006 10:41PM

Um, I better clarify. There will be maybe 2-3 visits a month from friends. No one else will know about it. I want just a basic setup with some protection against hackers. Nothing too complex. 70% of the day the computer with the server isn't on and 10% of the remaining 30%, the computer is on, the server has been turned off so I can save ram for a game.

Besides, Wamp devs might consider making it more secure so it can be used for the public. It would a whole lot easier grinning smiley What exactly are the risks atm? How would someone hack my server?

Post Edited (06-07-06 22:45)

Posted by: CyberSpatium (67.170.181.---)
Date: June 08, 2006 04:46AM

I was under the impression you wanted to use your WAMP install for a full fledge webserver. if are going to limit the time it is turned on and only have a few friends drop by a few times, that is better. I would recommend you use htaccess and htpasswd in your www directory and only give the login info to friends to give you a little more protection.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.