mysql forms, help!
Posted by: mowa84 (---.cable.ubr10.newm.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: March 25, 2006 11:21PM

hi all, hope someone can help me out here. I've downloaded wamp5 and created my tables for the database now i want to create forms (not web based online forms) like data entry forms so that data can be inputted to the database using these form into its relevant tables, does anyone know any suitable software or method i can use to help me create these data entry forms, i'm looking for something simple nothing too complicated as i am a novice at this and i'm only doing this database as i dont have any choice! so guys if anyone can advice me or list a few website that you think can help me i will very much appreciate it, thanks for taking your time to read this and sorry if i have posted in the wrong place.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mysql forms, help!
Posted by: sirkitree (---.an4.phl18.da.uu.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 01:19AM

You can just use the preinstalled PHPMYADMIN to enter data.

When you access a table, you will see a list all of the fields and information about them. You are also provided with links to manage the fields.

Change – Allows you to edit a field’s properties.
Drop – Allows you to delete a field.
Primary – Allows you to make a field primary.
Index – Allows you to make a field an index field.
Unique – Allows you to make a field unique.

Change is the link I beleive you may be looking for to be able to enter actual data into the fields.

Date: March 26, 2006 01:18PM

Thanks sirkitree for the reply, if it was a personal database then i could use phpmyadmin to enter data but i need a front end for this database which will make it a lot simpler for the end user to operate, anyone else have any ideas please post. thank you

Posted by: universalbitmapper (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 10:39AM

If you want really good looking forms you can use Microsoft Access and an ODBC link to MySQL. It works wonder.
If you're allergic to Microsoft, look for MicroOlap site, you can download software for a trial period 30 days, they claim that they do forms with MySQL. (I didn't try it because I'm a slow learner, in 30 days I don't get nowhere) ;-)

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 11:56AM

Avoid MS office like the plague. Use the latest version of Base, from Open Office, one of the best office suites in existence (and way more secure than MS Office). And it is open source, so it is totally 100% free.
The latest version of their database software (called Base) comes with support for MySQL built in. This makes working with MySQL 100 times easier.

[www.openoffice.org]

Date: March 27, 2006 12:33PM

hey thanks universalbitmapper and CyberSpatium i very much appreciate all your help i'll check it out and if theres anymore please post. thank you

Date: March 27, 2006 01:29PM

hey CyberSpatium or anyone have any idea how to import mysql tables to openoffice base so i can create the forms. thanks

Posted by: universalbitmapper (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 02:03PM

You should'nt have to import the tables if OpenOffice has built in support. Openoffice will read your database structure.
I never saw that product, just make sure that Base does not automatically turn every column into a primary key component like Access/ODBC does.
Also it's not obvious that your customer wants to run its application on OpenOffice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.