problem in using utf-8
Posted by: saeed (213.207.229.---)
Date: February 08, 2006 08:50AM

Hi:

I installed the wamp and downloaded my website data into it.When I use utf-8 characters in category name for example , it shows correct at local host but when I uploaded the data to my website, strange characters are displayed instead.I know that there must be some problem in connection between Apache and mysql but don't know how to solve it.I use persian utf-8 characters.Any help?

Regards
Saeed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: problem in using utf-8
Posted by: katsuey (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2006 11:07PM

I don't know what the "right" answer is, but when I check the examples, they use utf8_general_ci - but I don't see that as a choice.

On my previous dbs, I've used the default "latin1_swedish_ci" but that makes at least one online server I have choke at the "InnoDB" that turns up as a default. So when I uploaded I just removed all references to "InnoDB" and it worked.

Re: problem in using utf-8
Posted by: Xajel (193.188.105.---)
Date: February 11, 2006 10:02AM

brother saeed,

I think the reason is because most servers around the web don't use utf8 yet...

You have to work with normal ASCII rather than utf8 in order to be compatible with webservers...

try to use older version of WAMP ( older than 1.6 ) to use the Apache 1.3.x ( not 2 ) and also install the PHP4 add-on as only PHP5 uses the utf8 charset...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.