Server fails after some use with no warning
Posted by: Jon Westcot (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 17, 2006 05:05AM

Hi all:

I'm a real newbie to WAMP and Apache on a local server, and I'm hoping one of you out there can help with this issue.

I've got a small PHP script that is used to display entries from a database into a web page. One of the entries displayed is an HTML Anchor that is used to display a referenced file on my local system (usually a PDF file). It also allows me to select an entry to be deleted from both the database and from my local system; the data are then redisplayed and the process continues again.

There are times when the response is extremely quick and the page reloads almost instantly. There are other times, though, when it takes much longer to reload -- 10 to 30 seconds or so. And then, there are times when I receive an error telling me that the page cannot be displayed. When that happens, I can no longer view local (i.e., intranet) pages, nor can I get anything from the Internet to display. My only recourse -- that is, the only one I know to do -- is to reboot. Shutting down both Apache and MySQL has no effect on letting me access Internet sites.

I get no warning before this occurs; the slow page loads do not always correspond to an impending failure. And, even though my database could return several thousand entries, I've limited it so only the first 200 rows from the result set are returned.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do to keep this issue from happening in the future? Is it possible that there's a failure with Adobe Acrobat that is causing this to occur? And, when the failure does occur, is there anything I can do other than rebooting to regain the ability to access either intranet or Internet sites?

Thanks for your help. It is truly appreciated!

Jon

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.