Password foolishness still has me stumped
Posted by: jPaulB (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: March 25, 2013 04:39AM

Hi Everybody,

I'm still stumped on this "password" foolishness.

I downloaded wampserver some time ago and ran into this issue:

Selecting phpMyAdmin from within the localhost browser page tells me "The website requires you to log in"

I couldn't possibly be the only person who has asked.

b.t.w.

the config.inc.php file in c:\wamp\apps\phpmyadmin-3.5.7-english file has no such line:

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = '';

Even if it did, wouldn't the localhost have to know what it (sic. password) was before performing the link to phpMyAdmin??

Any help will be appreciated

Many Thanks,
Paul

(If I wasn't so stupid, I wouldn't have to be so persistent)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Password foolishness still has me stumped
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2013 06:27AM

What's the exact name of the exe of wp you downloaded because none of the packages should have a folder for phpmyadmin with -English written at the end.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: March 25, 2013 08:06AM

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the quick response.

That folder was from a zipped upgrade I received from Sourceforge. They display the wampserver icon and I thought they were project partners with you. Their upgrade from 3.5.1 to 3.5.7 would be seamless.

[sourceforge.net]

In any event, I replaced the original phpMyAdmin folder3.5.1

Regards,
-Paul-

Posted by: zdy (27.17.16.---)
Date: March 25, 2013 09:38AM

If I'm understanding all of the posts correctly, it sounds like the engine fires right up normally in "start" mode, but then shuts off immediately when you release the keyswitch to "run" mode.....That sound to me like you do not have the "run" circuit energized at the engine and it is only firing off the "start" juice.....I would hot-wire the "run" circuit at the engine -- find the to connection for power going to it and put a jumper to it right from the battery. Then "run" will be live all the time and eliminate the possibilty of a cut wire / bad switch. If this test proves the engine will run, then you will probably find (since it sounds like you put in a new keyswitch allready) that you ran over a stick or something that went up under the machine and damaged / cut the "run" circuit wire between the keyswitch and the engine somewhere.www.cusabio.com/ELISA_Kit-84602/ il-6 elisa kit

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: March 25, 2013 09:59AM

No, there is no default upgrade to phpMyAdmin.

If you have no express reason for upgrading then dont bother, its almost never necessary.

Date: March 25, 2013 03:37PM

Thanks zdy, I'll get right on it.

and, Thanks Riggs, "upgrading had no needed purpose, so I'll switch the directories back again.

I still wonder why there are "passwords" or "link supports" anyway, if no one is allowed to change them.

Anyway, thanks everyone. It's been a treat

-Paul-

Date: March 25, 2013 04:21PM

You can upgrade it, but you need to know a lot more about a whole bunch of things before you try it.

Date: March 25, 2013 05:47PM

Hi Riggs,

I hear you! "You can upgrade it, but you need to know a lot more about a whole bunch of things before you try it."

My overall solution to getting wamp to work was to uninstall it.... remove registry entries, and re-install the whole thing from scratch.

Amazing! It worked like a charm, so clearly it was my screwing around that got me in trouble. I do need to know a lot more before trying to mess with it.

I still wonder what that password stuff is all about though. Stevemartin99 had an article that I read quite a while ago... wish I could have remembered where it was.

I have found this to be an excellent place to learn about PHP and wamp, full of folks who want to help. I certainly plan to continue... and one day actually help others with the experiences I've had.

Still don't understand what that other guy was on about with the engine/mechanics symbolism. Perhaps it was just elitist rhetoric?

My regards sir, and thank you again.

-Paul-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2013 05:54PM by jPaulB.

Date: March 25, 2013 09:18PM

Mysql and the password foolishness, I will try and explain.

1. MySQL is delivered in a default state, in this state it only has one User defined, that user is 'root' and it has No password defined. It looks like there are actually 3 'root' users when you view users with phpMyAdmin, but its actually one user that is allowed to login from 3 locations i.e. ip address's localhost, 127.0.0.1 and ::1.

2. It is very insecure to leave it in that state as everybody knows what your superuser accounts userid and password is, so people use phpMyAdmin to change one or hopefully all the 3 'root' users password.

This all goes smoothly until they try to go back to phpMyAdmin to create there first database. Now they cannot get in as the root user has a password but they have forgotten to tell the phpMyAdmin application what that new password is.

phpMyAdmin is in fact just a php application. In order for it to gain access to the mysql system it needs a userid and password. It is configured by default to expect the default state of mysql i.e. an account called 'root' with no password.

So what you have to do is edit the phpMyAdmin config file to inform it what the new password is. To do this you edit c:\wamp\apps\phpmyadmin3.x.y\config.inc.php

The normal instruction is to change these parameters like this:
This says the userid to use is 'root', there is no password, and you are aloowed to use a userid without a password
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'root';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPassword'] = true;

To:
This says the userid is 'root', the password is 'whatever you created as a password', and stops phpMyAdmin allowing the user of userids with no password.
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'root';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'your new password';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPassword'] = false;

My personal preference is to use these parameters instead:

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'http';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPassword'] = false;

This makes phpMyAdmin throw a userid/password challenge dialog every time you try to login.
You would use root as the userid and 'the password you setup' as the password.

I think this is even more secure as even if someone has access to your PC they cannot edit this file to see your super user password, as it is not actually recorded. It does mean you have to rememer it as once forgotten you are into a whole heep of hassle to get back into mysql.

I hope this helps a little and does not just add to your confusion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.