phpMyAdmin requires password?
Posted by: jPaulB (70.50.178.---)
Date: March 16, 2013 11:20PM

Hi Everybody,

I've just tried to use phpMyAdmin for the first time. The operation took me to a HTML page in my browser saying:

This error (HTTP 403 Forbidden) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the website, but it does not have permission to view the webpage.

It requires a log in.

How do I fix that?

regards,
-Paul-

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: phpMyAdmin requires password?
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 10:44AM

Have you been getting to MySQL using some other tool previously?

Did you set a password on the 'root' user?

Posted by: jPaulB (70.50.178.---)
Date: March 18, 2013 03:19PM

That would be a "No" to both questions.

I have not been getting to MySQL, nor set a password on the 'root'. I don't know how to do either.

What happens is that I can select the green "W" in the system tray and can access the local host properly. The local host will properly display the Wampserver configuration page.

However, if I select phpMyAdmin from the localhost configuration page, or from the Aestan Tray Menu, I'll get the following error messages:

Error

MySQL said: Documentation
#1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in your configuration and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.

If I select MySQL Console, I'll get a DOS box asking for a password. That just beeps at me and closes.

So... I'm guessing that I have to set some kind of password for MySQL, and then tell phpMyAdmin about that. I don't know how to do this. Is the root password the same thing?

Regards,
-Paul-

Posted by: fionapain (---.pres.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: March 18, 2013 06:37PM

Hi Paul, I am struggling with simular thing though have progressed a little further, the reason your MySQL is beeping and requiring pass is that you have not yet set the pass if you enter as if no pass it will run, however, to set the pass, I am using WAMPSERVER, though you can get to the same place via start-accessories-command prompt.... you then need to type out the following

use mysql
it will respond with "database changed"
UPDATE user [press return]
SET Password=PASSWORD('PUT IN YOUR PASSWORD HERE') [PRESS RETURN HERE}
WHERE user='root' ; [PRESS RETURN HERE]
it will respond with Query ok, 1 row affected <0.00 sec>
Rows matched: 1 warnings:0

Hope that makes sense,

to set the phMyAdin needs to be changed differantly I assume that as you mention the little green "w" you too are using WAMPSERVER

open c:\wamp\apps\phpmyadmin\config.inc.php

look for: $cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = ''; and put your password inbetween the quotes

save and close then reopen and it should work fine

Here is a link for WAMP [forum.wampserver.com]

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 07:32PM

Paul,

Did you restore a previously backed up database to your wamp system?

MySQL said: Documentation
#1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

BASICALLY this error message says you are trying to connect to mysql ( or phpmyadmin is ) without using a password ( which is the default state after an install ) but MySQL thinks that there is a password on the userid 'root'.

If you restored a database and the dump was done to include the mysql database itself you will have brought forward a userid set on the root user.

Could this be possible?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.