Probably a stupid question, but...
Posted by: kiernan7 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2013 06:19PM

Hey folks...

This is probably a stupid question, but since I have a lot at stake here, I'll risk looking stupid.

I have an older version of WAMP running on my computer. I have LOTS of websites on here.

I want to upgrade to the latest version (32 bit, PHP 5.4, 2.2 EE), but worry that doing an "over the top" install might blow away things underneath my existing WAMP folder. That wouldn't happen, right?

Also, is this version of WAMP backwardly compatible? Will all of my existing websites and mySQL databases be okay?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-- John Kiernan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Probably a stupid question, but...
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2013 06:26PM

No it is not backwards compatiable. WAMP is not a program as such.. but the components are not usually fully compatiable.

It really depends on the versions you have now. if they are very old, they may have depreciated code.

As for writing over the websites, The databases are stored in the current MYSQL, and if you installed a new version , it will be blank. so thats would really work, you will need to export the DB into SQL format and reimport them after.

if you want to get teamviewer ill help you so thast you dont risk losing any data.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Re: Probably a stupid question, but...
Posted by: kiernan7 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2013 09:51PM

Thanks for the info!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.