Is it possible to upgrade my WAMP to mysql 5.6?
Posted by: phil18 (---.bb.netvision.net.il)
Date: February 27, 2013 05:09PM

Hi,

I need to be able to do fulltext searches on innodb tables, so I want to upgrade my mysql to 5.6. I see it's not available yet on the wampserver site, so I was wondering whether it's possible for my to add it to my wamp installation myself?

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it possible to upgrade my WAMP to mysql 5.6?
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.ppp.as43234.net)
Date: February 27, 2013 05:30PM

HowTo: Install a new version of MySQL into wamp and migrate your data properly.

Please read the whole post before starting this process. Mistakes can cause untold hassle.

Also take a copy of your WHOLE C:\WAMP folder so you can replace it if necessary if something goes wrong.

A backup of your databases is also a good idea.

Assumption: That you are using the default wamp config where all your databses are stored in the mysql.x.y.x\data\ folder.
If thats the case no backup of your databases is necessary, but it would not hurt, just in case.
This should also work if you are using innodb databases, stored in the mysql.x.y.x\data\ folder.

This will take your complete MySQL environment, including users, passwords and privilages so they do not need to be re-created on the new release.

I have tried to keep it simple here using c:\wamp, but you may have wamp on another drive, just change c: to whatever you use.

Before you start read the upgrade notes on the mysql.com site for information on anything you may have to do to your existing data before you start the upgrade.
There should be a page devoted to major upgrades, you will have to read between the lines if you are doing a minor upgrade.

A glance at the changelog is also a good idea as it will give you a clue as to what has changed and how that may effect your SQL and or data.

So here is the process:

1. Download the ZIP version of the mysql you want to run ( not the msi installer, only because I dont know what it may do or assume when it installs )
Suggested source [www.mysql.com]

2. From wamp manager, Stop all services.

3. Go to c:\wamp\bin\mysql\ and create a new folder named appropriately i.e mysql5.5.28

4. Unzip the mysql and copy the contents of the MySQL folder into your newly created folder. Make sure the directory levels are the same as your existing MySQL folder.

5. Copy all the contents of your previous mysql\mysql5.5.10\data folder into the new data folder under your newly created version folder.
Thats EVERYTHING not just your databases, including the ibdata1, ib_logfile0, ib_logfile1 and all the mysql-bin.0000xx files.
We are going to use the recommended mysql-upgrade tool so this is ok to do.
This will also ensure that you keep all your Users and password and granted privilages intact when the upgrade is complete.

6. Copy c:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.5.10\wampserver.conf to c:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.5.28\wampserver.conf
All the folders in here are relative to where this file lives, so normally nothing need changing in here.

7. RIGHT CLICK wampmanager -> refresh
This will make wamp manager find your new version.
Check this by Left click wampmanager -> MySQL -> Versions Your new version should be available in the list.

8. From wamp manager -> MySQL -> Version click on your new version.
Normally you would have to uninstall the old wampmysql service and re-install the new wampmysql service, but wamp takes care of all that for you by just clicking the new version number.
This should also start the new mysql service, so now the new mysql is running.
BUT DONT DO ANYTHING YET!!!

9. Launch a command window ( using Run As Administrator ).
CD into c:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.5.28\bin folder ( the new releases bin folder ).
And run
mysql_upgrade -u[your MySQL admin userid] -p > upgrade_results.txt

It will ask you for the password for the admin user you provided on the -u parameter.
enter the password.

Wait while it runs, If you have very large databases this may take some time but normally it will take anything from a few seconds to a minute or two.
This will look at your databases and do any upgrades that are required and also any upgrades/maintenace of the mysql database that MySQL uses internally.
Thats the tables that contain your userids and password and privilages and other things.

10. Check for errors in the upgrade_results.txt file, fix if there are any.
You can repeat this as often as you like, just refresh the data from the old versions data folder each time.

11. LEFT Click wamp manager -> MySQL -> Service -> Stop Service.
Then again and Start Service. This will load the changed mysql database with any new/changed config info.

12. At this point assuming you are staying on the newly installed version of MySQL its a good idea to run:
wampmanager -> MySQL -> MySQL Console
and run a
> reset master;

To reset the log files.

Thats it your are ready to go and all your userid's and data are converted to the new MySQL version.

TROUBLESHOOTING

The Beauty of WAMP
If you find you have a problem with one of your databases you can just switch the MySQL Version back to the old version, fix the databases using MySQL Workbench or phpMyAdmin.
The copy all the contents of the data folder into your new release and re-run the mysql_upgrade.exe as many times as it takes to fix your issues.

And of course if it all goes bad in a big way, you can switch the MySQL version back to whatever you were using before and all your data is still there UNTOUCHED.

Now this may seem obvious but I am going so say it anyway:
1. If everything goes smoothly you do have to remember that you now have 2 versions of the same database(s) that are being maintained SEPERATELY.
2. It is not possible to use this process to DOWNGRADE your databases!!!

Posted by: cristian (122.58.179.---)
Date: April 24, 2013 02:08PM

I followed the instructions above to upgrade from MySQL 5.5.20 to 5.6.11 but I got the errors below after I ran the mysql_upgrade command and the Upgrade Failed.

Does anyone know how to fix the errors below?

mysql.slave_master_info
Error : Table 'mysql.slave_master_info' doesn't exist
mysql.slave_relay_log_info
Error : Table 'mysql.slave_relay_log_info' doesn't exist
mysql.slave_worker_info
Error : Table 'mysql.slave_worker_info' doesn't exist

Repairing tables
mysql.innodb_index_stats
Error : Table 'mysql.innodb_index_stats' doesn't exist
mysql.innodb_table_stats
Error : Table 'mysql.innodb_table_stats' doesn't exist
mysql.slave_master_info
Error : Table 'mysql.slave_master_info' doesn't exist
mysql.slave_relay_log_info
Error : Table 'mysql.slave_relay_log_info' doesn't exist
mysql.slave_worker_info
Error : Table 'mysql.slave_worker_info' doesn't exist

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: April 24, 2013 03:40PM

Did you check the mysql site for upgrade instructions specific to moving from and to those versions?

Posted by: walter07 (91.102.147.---)
Date: May 16, 2014 06:47AM

After following all the instructions, I get this after I enter the upgrade command :

Looking for 'mysql.exe' as: C:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.6.17\bin\mysql.exe
Looking for 'mysqlcheck.exe' as: C:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.6.17\bin\mysqlcheck.exe

I checked and both these files exist.

Posted by: walter07 (91.102.147.---)
Date: May 16, 2014 06:53AM

After following all the instructions, I get this after I enter the upgrade command :

FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed

Then I check the upgrade_results.txt and see this :

Looking for 'mysql.exe' as: C:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.6.17\bin\mysql.exe
Looking for 'mysqlcheck.exe' as: C:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.6.17\bin\mysqlcheck.exe

I checked and both these files exist.
Any help on this please.

Posted by: tica (---.static.stech.net.br)
Date: May 31, 2019 03:17PM

Sorry,

In c:/wamp64/bin/mysql/mysql5.6.44/my.ini file,
MySQL Server has not the same name as MySQL service: wampmysqld64

The content of the file (about line 25) must be:

# The MySQL server
[wampmysqld64]

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: May 31, 2019 06:28PM

Hi,

Are you aware that you are putting a message in response to another five-year-old message?

Please READ (and answer) BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION

then, please explain what your problem is.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.